Savory oats don't always get the love they deserve. Adding veggies and eggs to your bowl of oatmeal results in a hearty breakfast that is anything but boring. If you don't like a runny yolk, cook your egg to your preference so you're still getting all of that delicious protein.
Eggs are the ultimate breakfast food, but even though there's so many different ways to prepare them, they can still get a little boring from time to time. Jazz up your next bowl of oatmeal with a runny egg, some kale, and avocado while you're at it, because a superfood-filled breakfast never hurt anybody.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/4 avocado, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a boil. Add oats and let cook for 5 minutes or until desired consistency.
2. In a separate skillet, cook kale with oil over medium heat until kale is wilted and slightly crispy at the edges, about 5 minutes.
3. In the same skillet over high heat, fry an egg to desired doneness.
4. In a bowl, combine milk and cooked oats.
5. Top oatmeal with kale, fried egg, avocado, red chili flakes, and salt.
CALORIES 360; FAT 20g (sat 4g, mono 11g, poly 4g); PROTEIN 14g; CARB 34g; FIBER 8g; SUGARS 3g; CHOL 187mg; IRON 3mg; SODIUM 578mg; CALC 85mg