One-jar desserts are an amazing thing. From frozen treats to streusel topped skillets to creamy tarts, almost anything can be put into a jar for a delicious treat. This recipe is a lovely, no-bake, easy-as-pie-in-a-cup dessert: berry shortcakes.
The recipe blueprint: macerated berries with basil and lemon, toasted cubes of angel food cake or pound cake, and light whipped cream. Swap out the berries with any fruit you like, or add a little sparking wine to the berry mixture. Enjoy!
Berry Shortcakes in a Cup
- 1/2 cup diced angel food cake
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons light whipped cream
How to Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Arrange cake cubes on a baking sheet. Bake at 350º for 5 minutes or until toasted.
- Combine next 6 ingredients (through lemon juice) in a bowl; let stand at least 10 minutes. Layer berry mixture, whipped cream, and cake in 2 juice glasses or small mason jars.