The union of caffeine and oats seems like it should have happened long ago. Hearty rolled oats meet frothy milk for a thick, coffee-laden bowl of oatmeal that is the ultimate breakfast hybrid. Top it with granola for added protein, or add a splash of cocoa powder and dark chocolate for a mocha twist. Either way, this is a balanced, healthy meal to kick start your day.
To sip or to spoon? That is the question. Oatmeal lattes have taken the Internet by storm, and we want in on the fun. Start your morning with a filling bowl of oats and a splash of strongly brewed coffee for a breakfast that will wake you up and fuel your day.
Since most of us don't have milk frothers and espresso machines, we found a way to bring the oatmeal latte to life, sans fancy equipment. By vigorously whisking the milk over low heat and brewing a stronger cup of joe, you get that same great flavor of a latte without having to invest in yet another kitchen tool. We topped ours with power granola, but you can easily enjoy it without the added frills. Take it to-go on a hectic morning, or sip it under the covers on a cozy, weekend in bed.
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons strongly brewed coffee
1. Brew a strong pot of coffee.
2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, whisk milk vigorously until milk is frothy and nearly doubles in size, about 5 minutes.
3. Add oats to milk and let cook until oats have reached desired softness, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, and stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
5. Pour into a mug or bowl and top with coffee. Stir or let sit for a few minutes to steep.
CALORIES 262; FAT 6.6g (sat 2.8g, mono 2g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 11g; CARB 41g; FIBER 5g; SUGARS 14g; CHOL 15mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 568mg; CALC 237mg