Winter Produce Guide
To select, pick those that are firm to the touch and heavy for their size. Avoid any fruits with mold or spongy spots.
• Beet, Blood Orange, Kumquat, and Quinoa Salad
• Blood Orange Sangria
• Fennel, Blood Orange, and Watercress Salad
• Blood Orange Layer Cake
• Shrimp Salad with Blood Oranges and Slivered Fennel
See More: Season's Best: Citrus Fruits
To select, choose small to medium beets with firm, smooth skin and no soft spots, with stems and leaves attached.
• Easy Pickled Beets
• Beets with Dill and Walnuts
• Spiced Beet and Carrot Soup
• Golden Beet, Greens, and Potato Torta
• Roasted Carrot and Beet Salad with Feta, Pulled Parsley, and Cumin Vinaigrette
See More: In Season: Beets
To select, choose pomegranates that feel heavy, are bright in color, and are free of blemishes.
See More: Pomegranate Power
To select, test with a gentle squeeze, and buy only firm fruit.
See More: In Season: Kumquats
To select, buy leeks with crisp leaves and blemish-free stalks.
To select, look for small to medium-sized parsnips with beige skin. They should be blemish-free and firm.
• Pasta with Black Kale, Caramelized Onions, and Parsnips
• Roasted Root Vegetables
• Chicken and Parsnip Soup
• Roasted Vegetable Couscous with Chickpeas and Onion–Pine Nut Topping
• Crispy Root Vegetable Latkes with Beet Puree
See More: In Season: Parsnips
To select, look for a deep blue-green color and choose small bunches devoid of any signs of wilting or discoloration.
See More: 14 Kale Recipes
To select, you probably won't be able to choose them individually, so check the see-through plastic to make sure you get bright, intensely colored berries.
See More: Cranberry Sauce and Relish Recipes
To select, look for smooth, brightly-colored skin (green means under-ripe), and lemons that feel heavy for their size.
See More: 10 Things to Know About Lemons
To select, choose firm oranges that have smooth skins and are not moldy. Don't worry about brown patches on the skin; this does not indicate poor quality.
• Oranges with Caramel and Cardamom Syrup
• Broccoli Slaw with Oranges and Crunchy Noodles
• Pineapple and Orange Salad with Toasted Coconut
• Tomato-Citrus Salmon
• Tuscan Cake with Citrus Compote