Each Friday, we share five things that are getting buzz around the Cooking Light offices—from what we’re reading around the Web, to what’s hot on Instagram, or even our latest favorite ingredient.Grapefruit has quickly become one my favorite fruits over the past year. Not only are the nutritional benefits sky-high, the sweet-tart zest gives me a refreshing boost to get up and get going in the morning. Brimming with vitamins A and C, both the red and pink grapefruits are also filled with the antioxidant lycopene, which may help lower the risk of certain cancers. This bittersweet beauty is best in midwinter and bursting with flavor this month. See what the buzz has been about and try it in these five delicious and nutritious recipes.
1. Make it a drink: Whether you’re into juicing or making smoothies, grapefruit is a bright addition to any drink. Squeeze half a grapefruit in water, add a half-teaspoon of honey, and enjoy. Juice it up with three or four carrots, one inch of ginger root, one small apple, and a half of a small lemon, or add a half or whole grapefruit, peeled and sliced to a fruit smoothie like our Sunshine Smoothie.
2. Broil it: Though this pink and red citrus is delicious enough on its own, if the tartness is too much try broiling--it makes the fruit even sweeter. Cut the grapefruit in a half, place each half on a baking sheet with the cut side facing up and sprinkle a half-teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of brown sugar on each side. Broil on high for 3 to 5 minutes, or until bubbling.
3. Add it in a salad: Cut the grapefruit into segments and add to a bed of greens to give your salad a bittersweet punch. The tartness from the grapefruit pairs especially well with avocados and red onions. Try it out in our Grapefruit and Hearts of Palm Salad or Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit Salad.
4. Throw it in a salsa: Mix in some chopped grapefruit into your favorite salsa, or add it in a homemade recipe like our Orange and Avocado Salsa. Serve with pita or tortilla chips for a refreshing appetizer or top off a grilled chicken or salmon to balance your dish.
5. Create a citrus marinade: Grate a grapefruit and other citrus rinds. Then add the grated rinds to a little olive oil and garlic to make a delightful marinade for salmon or chicken. Try it in our Four Citrus-Herb Chicken.
Don't miss these great beauty products that use grapefruit, too.