Today is National Watermelon Day, and we’re all pretty excited around this office. Food holidays are, well, completely arbitrary and random, but any excuse to celebrate everyone’s favorite summer fruit sounds like a good one to us. In fact, we’re so excited that we decided to spell it out in, what else, watermelon. (Pinterest, we love you.)
Now that we’ve got our holiday all spelled out, the looming question is what do we do with all these watermelon scraps? If you’re one of the rare folks who can resist the urge to scarf up every random watermelon bit sprawled across the cutting board, there’s plenty to do with your oddly shaped chunks of watermelon. Here, a few ideas:
- Blend it up for a refreshing glass of agua fresca or a watermelon margarita.
- Chop it up and throw it in a salad.
- We’re also not opposed to a watermelon salsa or throwing it in some tacos.
- Of course, you can always blend up the scraps and use the juice in a pop or sorbet.
- Lastly, if all of these options require too much exertion on a day that you just want to relax and eat your melon, sprinkle some salt, chili, and lime on your watermelon, pat yourself on the back, and enjoy the freshest food holiday of the year.