This member of the cabbage family has a fairly round head of tightly packed white florets that are partially covered at the stem end with large, waxy, pale green leaves. Besides the white variety, you'll occassionally find a purple or greenish variety.
Choose a sturdy cauliflower that is compact; you want leaves that are crisp and green without signs of yellowing. The size of the head does not affect the quality.
• Baked Italian-Style Cauliflower
• Gratin of Cauliflower with Gruyère
• Roasted Cauliflower Fettuccine
• Cauliflower "Caviar" with Frizzled Prosciutto
• Crispy Topped Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower Gratin