Ready for your next
No-Cook Aji Amarillo SauceNo Peruvian table is complete without some version of this sunny chile-cheese sauce. Aji Amarillo peppers—the darling of South America—have a bright, fruity flavor and plenty of heat, which is tamed by the surprising addition of evaporated milk and saltine crackers. This sauce is truly a revelation!
Ingredients2/3 cup 2% reduced-fat evaporated milk1 1/2 tablespoons aji amarillo paste1.5 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)6 saltine crackers
Preparation1. Combine all ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth. Refrigerate up to 1 week.
Use It:1. As a healthy stand-in for nacho cheese sauce.
2. Drizzled over grilled scallops.
3. Blended with cooked egg yolks for a smokin' deviled egg filling.
4. Spooned over roasted potato wedges for a light version of cheese fries.
5. Tossed with lump crab meat, scallions, and red pepper for a quick crab salad.
6. Stirred into rice for a spicy side dish.
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: about 2 1/2 tablespoons)Total time: 5 minutesCALORIES 58; FAT 2.5g (sat 1g, mono 0.5g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 3g; CARB 6g; FIBER 0g; CHOL 9mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 159mg; CALC 112mg