These three characteristics are a must around dinner time at our house. So, as you might guess, I'm often throwing together a salad after a busy day of cooking here in the test kitchens of Cooking Light.
In my opinion, a successful salad begins and ends with a great vinaigrette. All the components can vary - type of lettuce, protein, vegetables, etc. With a simple, tasty vinaigrette you can please just about any crowd.
Here's my go-to vinaigrette recipe, which I use all the time at home:
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine/champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Stir together everything but the oil. Then, gradually whisk in 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Pour over salad and enjoy!
For more tips on making super salads ideas, read our Build a Smarter Salad story.