Whether you go casual or elegant, we have all the tips and advice you'll need to host a warm, friendly, successful party. By Ann Taylor Pittman
Open House Party Planning Tips
I talked with expert party planner Jeffrey Selden, formerly with the New York Palace Hotel and now with Marcia Selden Catering in Stamford, Connecticut. He shared some of his best tips on successful holiday open house party planning.
• Send invitations at least four to five weeks in advance.
• Festive-up the house
• Don't forget about music! It absolutely sets the tone for the party.
• Choose suitable dishes that work with the feel of the gathering.
• Take time to study a food plan.
• Keep the kids happy with kid-friendly bites and special area where the little ones can play.
• Be prepared for gifts especially food and have a few vases ready for flowers.
• Welcome guests with refreshments. Set up a drink station close to the entryway.
• Hire a presentable neighborhood teenager and put her or him in charge of refreshing the food.