Your favorite healthy snack just got a little prettier.
In a world of unicorn lattes and mermaid toast, it's sometimes easy to associate ultra colorful foods with artificial dyes. But nature has a bounty of color-rich fruits and vegetables to satisfy your desire for bright meals (and beautiful Instagram shots).
While perusing the produce section at your local grocery store, you may have noticed the newest rainbow trend: rainbow baby carrots. Available in shades of orange, yellow, red, white, and purple, these veggies are sure to pep up any dinner plate. Mostly available in 12 oz. bags, these tiny jewel-toned carrots are perfect for snacking or roasting to create a wow-worthy side dish.
Regular orange carrots are packed with nutrients, but colorful versions contain a larger variety of vitamins:
- Orange boasts beta and alpha carotene pigment to promote vitamin A production.
- Yellow contains lutein and xanthophykks, which are linked to eye health and preventing cancer.
- Red has beta-carotene and lycopene, which both lower the risk of certain cancers.
- Purple is rich in anthocyanin, plus beta and alpha carotene pigment, which may help prevent heart disease and boost vitamin A production.
- White is the least nutrient-dense variety, but still packs a large dose of fiber to promote healthy digestion.