For a lot of people, Chipotle is the go-to restaurant for a guilt-free, fast-casual meal that doesn’t ruin their diet. What they don’t realize is that their burrito bowl creation, although made entirely of wholesome, natural ingredients, might be clocking in at over 1,000 calories. At that point, you may as well just have a fast food combo meal for dinner.
That is not to say that Chipotle does not offer smart, well-balanced options in comparison to other fast casual joints. Although we know it’s tempting to ask for a generous spoonful of, well, everything, the calories start to add up quickly. A general rule of thumb is that if your arms are quivering when you’re carrying your tray, you’ve ordered too much.
Chipotle offers a nutrition calculator, which is extremely useful to understand what's in your go-to order. Before your next Chipotle trip, take a spin with the calculator and see how your favorite pick stacks up. Surprised at your totals? We were when we added up some of our go-to orders. That sent us on a mission: How can we eat the Chipotle we love and not loathe the calorie damage?
Tips for a Healthier Chipotle Order
We recommend that you pick and choose your favorite meat/tofu. Sacrifice the sour cream, and opt for cheese instead. Rely on the fresh salsa and fajita vegetables to provide ample flavor without tons of fat or calories.
We’ve created a list of our favorite Chipotle combinations that are under 500 calories yet are still packed with flavor and protein to keep you satisfied—because no one should have to go without Chipotle.
Chipotle Meals Under 500 Calories
- Soft corn tacos // Sofritas // Corn salsa // Tomatillo salsa // Lettuce** (455 calories)
- Brown rice // Barbacoa // Fresh tomato salsa // Fajita vegetables // Lettuce (425 calories)
- Romaine lettuce // Chicken // Black beans // Tomatillo red-chili salsa // 1/2 serving guacamole (450 calories)
- Romaine lettuce // Steak // Pinto beans // Fresh tomato salsa // Cheese // Fajita vegetables // Tomatillo salsa (425 calories)
- Brown Rice // Carnitas // Fajita vegetables // Fresh tomato salsa // Tomatillo red-chili salsa (480 calories)
- Romaine lettuce // Barbacoa // 1/2 serving guacamole // Fajita vegetables // Cheese // Corn salsa (485 calories)
- Soft flour tacos // Black beans // Fajita vegetables // Cheese // Tomatillo salsa // Romaine lettuce** (500 calories)
**vegan meal option
The underlying message is that you can’t have it all, but if you're smart, you can make a really tasty and filling meal.