Mix and match your favorite batch for less than 500 calories. Precooked noodles and proteins help you bring it to table in next to no time. Sidney Fry, MS, RD
We have a secret: a flavorful and low-calorie stir-fry can be achieved. In just a few steps, and with a few high-impact ingredients, you'll soon be enjoying
a delicious stir-fry that clocks in under 500 calories. Here's the breakdown:
Bell Peppers + Bok Choy + Soba Noodles + Shrimp + Ginger Hoisin Sauce + Green Onions = 425 Calories
Step 1| Heat a large, heavy skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil.
Step 2| Add vegetables, and stir-fry 1 minute.
Step 3| Add cooked noodles, and stir-fry 1 minute.
Step 4| Add cooked protein, and stir-fry 1 minute. For an even sear, sizzle without stirring for the first 30 seconds.
Step 5| Add sauce, and stir-fry 1 minute.
Step 6| Finish with your crunchy topper.
Neutral-tasting canola oil is high in heart-healthy fats.
Rich in nutrients. Pick two.
20 CALORIES EACH
• ½ cup, chopped
• 1 cup, whole
• ½ cup, blanched
• 1/3 cup, thinly sliced
• 1 cup, thinly sliced
• 1¼ cups, sliced
• ½ cup, cut and blanched
• 2 tablespoons, shelled
Baby Bok Choy
• 1¼ cups, blanched
Nutty and filling, soba noodles are made from wheat and buckwheat flour. They are a lower-calorie, higher-protein alternative
to brown rice. Cook in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
Leftovers are fast and stir-fry friendly.
100 CALORIES EACH
• 2 ounces lean, sautéed
• 3.5 ounces large, steamed
• 4 ounces extra-firm, sautéed
• 2 ounces, roasted
Stir all ingredients until combined.
Ginger Hoisin (30 CALORIES)
• 1½ teaspoons finely chopped green onions, 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar, 1½ teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon peeled fresh ginger, ½ teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
Teriyaki Sauce (30 CALORIES)
• 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, ½ teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger, 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1 minced garlic clove, ¾ teaspoon cornstarch, 1 teaspoon water
Coconut Ginger (35 CALORIES)
• ½ teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon Sriracha, 2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon red curry paste, 2 tablespoons light coconut milk
Peanut Sauce (95 CALORIES)
• 1 tablespoon water, 1½ teaspoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons chunky peanut butter, ½ teaspoon Sriracha, 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce, 1½ teaspoons rice vinegar