Choosing the right foods is essential to keeping your energy high before, during, and after your workout. The right meals and snacks will keep you fueled so that you can get more out of your workout―and your day.
The good news is, you probably already have the makings of high-energy meals and snacks in your cupboard. Remember to stay hydrated, and follow these tips on what to eat and when.
Before you exercise:
- 1/2 bagel with 2 tablespoons peanut butter and 1 cup milk
- Tuna sandwich on multigrain bread with lettuce and tomato
- Banana and low-fat yogurt
During your workout (longer than 1 hour):
- Dried fruit
- Fig Newtons
- Jelly beans
- Sports drink or energy gel
Recovering after exercise:
- Turkey sandwich on pita bread
- Low-fat yogurt and granola
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich