We’ve all experienced a nasty belly bloat. Bloating makes you feel ginormous, and it’s not just in your head. Your tummy actually looks larger when you’re bloated. But fear not, because Skinny Ms. is here to help you bloat no more! We’re sharing 6 Ways to Beat Bloating.
Bloating has a number of causes. Some of them are medical, like stomach bugs or food allergies. However, many cases of bloating are trigged by how and what we eat. The good news is that making a few simple changes can reduce bloating and help you look and feel better. These no-bloating tips will help you get started.
1. Drink more water.When you’re dehydrated, your body conserves water by retaining it, leading to bloating. Avoid carbonated beverages and sugary sports drinks, and instead hydrate with H20. Our refreshing Strawberry-Basil Water and 3 Cleanse and Detox Waters are great ways to add flavor and nutrients to your water consumption.
2. Slow down while eating.Take your time during meals and snacks. Eating too quickly can make you swallow excess air, which contributes to bloating. Another benefit to slow eating is that chewing starts the digestive process. Chewing food fully allows digestion to work more efficiently, which will help prevent bloating (and an upset stomach).
3. Eat 3 small meals and 2 healthy snacks each day.Consuming too much at one sitting increases the risk of bloating. Instead of eating a traditional three large meals per day, eat three smaller meals and two nutritious snacks. We have some delicious snack ideas in 50 Clean-Eating Snacks.
4. Pack in the probiotics.Probiotics are natural bacteria that support healthy digestion and balance out bad bacteria in the digestive tract. Yogurt is a rich, versatile source of probiotics. Try our zesty Curry-Style Greek Yogurt Dip or the naturally sweet Skinny Berry Parfait.
5. Boost potassium intake.Potassium is a mineral that plays a role in regulating body fluids. Potassium also flushes out excess sodium, which increases water retention. (Sodium is a common ingredient in processed foods.) Potassium-rich foods include dark leafy greens, bananas, sweet potatoes, lentils, and salmon. Find potassium-rich foods in hearty recipes like Oven Sweet Potato Fries or Blackened Sockeye Salmon.
6. Add diuretic foods to your menu.Diuretics are substances that cause the body to produce more urine. Eating these types of foods is a wonderful way to beat bloating because they help flush extra fluid from the body. Try these diuretic foods featured in some of our healthy recipes:
Asparagus (Skinny Cream of Asparagus Soup)Brussels Sprouts (Brussels Sprouts with Cherry Tomato Sauté)Cabbage (Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)Celery (Slow Cooker Cream of Chicken and Rice Soup)Cucumber (Chickpea Cucumber Salad)Eggplant (Grilled Spicy Mediterranean Eggplant with Tomato Salad)Lemons (Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken)