With tips and techniques from grill master Steven Raichlen, you can delight a few friends or a crowd with perfect versions of healthy chicken, fish, veggies, and more.
11. Score the beef lightly to help the marinade penetrate quickly and keep the steak flat while it cooks.
12. Keep it juicy and tender by letting it rest for several minutes after cooking, then slicing thinly against the grain: Flank steak turns tough if sliced with the grain or into thick pieces.
13. Add salt just before grilling, after the steak comes out of the marinade. (If you add salt to a wet marinade, you will lose some of it with the discarded liquid.)
14. Add smoked paprika to the spice rub. The steak doesn't spend long on the grill, so paprika boosts its open-fire flavor.
15. Buy flank steak: It's lean—with almost 30% less saturated fat than top sirloin—but flavorful.