With tips and techniques from grill master Steven Raichlen, you can delight a few friends or a crowd with perfect versions of healthy chicken, fish, veggies, and more.
26. Start with ground buffalo. It has fewer calories and as much as half the sat fat of 90% lean beef, but boasts big, meaty flavor.
27. Add some Parmigiano-Reggiano to the patties—it kicks up the savory umami taste and seasons the burgers from the inside.
28. Stir in a splash of extra-virgin olive oil. A little heart-healthy fat added to the patties helps keep the extra-lean burgers moist.
29. Make a kickin' condiment: Slow-roast tomatoes to intensify their sweetness. Add a little tangy balsamic vinegar and peppery basil, then puree the mixture into a ketchup.
30. Grill the burgers over high heat to no more than medium so they don't dry out.
31. Toast the buns on the grill to add a little crisp texture and some lightly charred flavor.