Cooking for one person can be quite difficult–and, frankly, very boring. Many recipes make 4 servings. Even more make 6 or 8 servings. For families, that’s great, but if you’re not into leftovers, this just won’t work when you’re flying solo.
Our Cooking for One series focuses on combining a few fresh ingredients with pantry staples for 5 nights of fun dinners. This week, we’ll work with these 7 ingredients:
- rotisserie chicken
- boil-in-bag brown rice
- canned chipotle chiles
- corn tortillas
- canned black beans
Southwestern Black Bean Soup with Crunchy Tortilla ToppingWe aren't using any chicken in this soup because it would put the recipe over our calorie and sodium limits, but you can if you want. One chipotle chile is pretty spicy, so we've added Greek yogurt to cool it down. Reduce the amount of chile and adobo sauce if you'd like a more gentle heat.
1 (6-inch) corn tortillaCooking spray1 teaspoon canola oil1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped1/8 cup chopped shallot1 teaspoon adobo sauce1 chipotle chile1/4 teaspoon ground cumin1/2 teaspoon minced garlic1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson's)1/3 cup unsalted, fat-free canned organic black beans, drained and rinsed1/2 cup from 1 can of unsalted fire-roasted chopped tomatoes, drainedRemainder of boil-in-bag brown rice (about 1/3 cup)2 teaspoons lime juicedash of salt1 tablespoon chopped cilantro1/8 avocado (about 2 tablespoons)1 radish, sliced1 tbsp Greek yogurt or light sour cream
1. Place tortilla on a baking sheet; lightly coat each side with cooking spray. Broil for 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning after 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Heat a small Dutch oven or sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add bell pepper and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); cook 3 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add stock, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in juice and salt. Cut tortilla into wedges or strips. Pour soup into a bowl, and top evenly with tortilla, cilantro, avocado, radish, and yogurt. Serve immediately.
Serves 1CALORIES 418; FAT 13g (sat 2g, mono 5.4g, poly 1.8g); PROTEIN 16g; CARB 60g; FIBER 12g; CHOL 3mg; IRON 4mg; SODIUM 600mg; CALC 110mg
The Rest of This Week's Dishes
- Spicy-Sweet Chicken Breast with Green Onion Rice
- Adobo Chicken Fried Rice
- Chipotle-Lime Chicken Tacos
- Adobo Chicken Tostada
- Chocolate-Avocado Pudding
- Cinnamon-Sugar Tortilla Crisps