Ripe heirloom tomatoes in the heart of the season make Johanna Ware swoon. "There couldn't be anything I love more," says the chef of
GRILLED STEAK AND TOMATOES WITH TOFU RANCH DRESSINGHands-on: 29 min. Total: 29 min.
There's no need to pull out the food processor to make the small amount of breadcrumbs for this recipe. Just tear bread by hand into very small pieces; the rustic texture is perfect.
4 ounces firm tofu, drained2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided1½ tablespoons water2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided1 garlic clove4½ tablespoons olive oil, divided4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaksCooking spray3 large heirloom tomatoes, cored and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce½ teaspoon sugar1 medium shallot, thinly sliced¼ cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs1 teaspoon chile oil
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine tofu, 1 tablespoon chives, 1½ tablespoons water, juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and garlic in a blender; blend until smooth. With blender running, drizzle in 1½ tablespoons oil.
3. Sprinkle steaks with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place steaks on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Coat tomato slices with cooking spray. Place tomato slices on grill; grill 2 minutes on each side. Combine remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add tomato and shallot to bowl; toss gently to coat.
4. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs to pan; cook 3 minutes or until golden and toasted, stirring occasionally. Drizzle chile oil over crumbs; toss to coat.
5. Spread 2 tablespoons tofu puree in a circle on each of 4 plates. Divide tomato slices among plates. Cut steaks across the grain into thin slices; arrange slices on top of tomatoes. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon toasted breadcrumb mixture and ¾ teaspoon chives.
SERVES 4CALORIES 356; FAT 24g (sat 4.7g, mono 13.7g, poly 2.7g); PROTEIN 26g; CARB 10g; FIBER 2g; CHOL 59mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 561mg; CALC 93mg