There’s something in the air … Can you feel it? No, it’s not spring fever. It’s matcha fever. Here we’ll share tasty, fun ways to put this hot ingredient to cool use.
Matcha-Tahini Ice Cream
We’ve been seeing a lot of sesame ice cream on social media, and, let’s be honest, drooling over the idea. And you know what? It’s easy enough to make your own version at home, using tahini (sesame seed paste) for loads of nutty flavor and creamy texture. Load on some matcha, and this ice cream is over-the-top good.
1 1/2 cups half-and-half1 1/2 cups 2% evaporated milk2/3 cup sugar, divided3 large egg yolks2 to 3 tablespoons matcha powder1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract1/3 cup tahini, well-stirred
1. Combine half-and-half, evaporated milk, and 1/3 cup sugar in a medium, heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat (do not boil), stirring frequently.
2. Combine remaining 1/3 cup sugar and yolks in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually whisk about one-fourth of milk mixture into yolk mixture; slowly whisk in remaining milk mixture.
3. Return milk mixture to pan; cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes or until mixture slightly thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; whisk in matcha and vanilla. Add tahini; whisk until well blended. Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl; place bowl in a large bowl filled with ice water. Let stand 15 minutes or until cool, stirring occasionally.
4. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve right away (for a soft-serve texture), or spoon into a container, and place in freezer for 1 to 2 hours (for a firmer texture).
SERVES 8 (serving size: about 1/2 cup)CALORIES 243; FAT 12.9g (sat 4.6g, mono 4.2g, poly 2.8g); PROTEIN 7g; CARB 26g; FIBER 0g; SUGARS 21g (est. added sugars 17g); CHOL 93mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 78mg; CALC 190mg
More Matcha Recipes:
- Matcha-White Chocolate Bark
- Salmon in Coconut-Matcha Broth
- Chocolate-Dipped Whole-Wheat Matcha Shortbread
- Matcha Cheesecake Bars
- Buttermilk-Glazed Matcha Doughnuts