The chia seed has stolen the limelight lately on the nutrition red carpet. Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, dietary fiber, antioxidants, and calcium, these tiny black and white seeds provide a boost of energy and regulate blood sugar to help you feel full longer. Reap the benefits of this nutritional powerhouse by discovering new ways to add its mild, nutty flavor to your diet.
Our oven-baked chicken tenders are breaded with panko crumbs, shredded coconut, and chia seeds. The three create a satisfying, crunchy crust without ever touching oil. It's the perfect finger food for game day or a quick weeknight dinner with far fewer calories than its fried version.
Coconut and Chia Crusted Chicken Fingers
Ingredients1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders (about 12 tenders)1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper1 large egg1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut1 cup whole wheat panko3 tbsp chia seedsCooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place egg in a shallow dish, beating well. Combine panko, chia seeds, and coconut in a shallow dish. Dunk chicken in egg and coat chicken in panko mixture.
3. Cover a baking dish with foil and apply a light coat of cooking spray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and done.
If you're into mustard sauce, you must make this condiment for dipping and dunking. I promise, you'll never want to forget it.
Serves 4 (serving size: 3 tenders)CALORIES 323; FAT 11.2g (sat 4.3g, mono 2g, poly 2.7g); PROTEIN 36g; CARB 19g; FIBER 6mg; CHOL 137mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 503mg; CALCIUM 66mgMaple-Mustard Dipping Sauce
Ingredients3 cup spicy brown mustard2 tablespoons brown sugar3 tablespoons maple syrup2 tablespoons yellow mustard1 tablespoon grated onion1 tablespoon cider vinegar2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce1/2 teaspoon black pepper1 garlic clove, minced
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate up to 1 week.
Serves 6 (serving size: about 2 tablespoons)CALORIES 58; FAT 0g; PROTEIN 0g; CARB 12g; FIBER 0mg; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 194mg; CALCIUM 19mg
More Chicken Tenders:
- Oven "Fried" Chicken Fingers with Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Parmesan-Panko Chicken Tenders
- Pan-Fried Chicken Fingers with Spicy Dipping Sauce