Cooking for one person can be quite difficult–and, frankly, very boring. Many recipes make 4 servings. Even more make 6 or 8 servings. For families, that’s great, but if you’re not into leftovers, this just won’t work when you’re flying solo.
Our Cooking for One series focuses on combining a few fresh ingredients with pantry staples for 5 nights of fun dinners. This week, we’ll work with these 7 ingredients:
- rotisserie chicken
- boil-in-bag brown rice
- canned chipotle chiles
- corn tortillas
- canned black beans
Adobo Chicken Tostada with Broccoli SlawYou could skip the chicken here, too, if you want to save it for another use. The black beans are hearty and filling. If you do that, try adding the slaw to top the top of the tostada for a super fresh and filling dinner.
2 (6-inch) corn tortillas1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil1 teaspoon minced garlic1/2 cup unsalted black beans, drained3 ounces rotisserie chicken (about 1/3 cup)1 teaspoon adobo sauce1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chili1/8 avocado, sliced1 tablespoon cilantro
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Bake tortillas on oven rack for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp.
2. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic and black beans to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until warmed. Put beans in food processor or blender, and pulse until smooth.
3. Return pan to heat. Add remaining oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken, adobo sauce, chile to pan, and cook until warmed.
4. Spread black beans over tortillas, top with chicken, avocado, and cilantro (or green onions if you have them).
Serves 1CALORIES 496; FAT 19g; SAT FAT 3.4g; SODIUM 481mg
Broccoli SlawA everything-but-the-kitchen-sink kind of slaw. We're finishing up some of our produce, so don't be afraid to ad lib and throw in whatever you have.
1 teaspoon lime juice1/8 teaspoon salt1/4 cup broccoli stalk, julienned1/8 cup chopped shallotany remaining bell pepper1 radish, chopped or sliced
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Toss to coat. Serve with tostadas.
Serves 1CALORIES 58; FAT 1g; SAT FAT 0g; SODIUM 233mg
The Rest of This Week's Dishes
- Spicy-Sweet Chicken Breast with Green Onion Rice
- Adobo Chicken Fried Rice
- Chipotle-Lime Chicken Tacos
- Southwestern Black Bean Soup
- Chocolate-Avocado Pudding
- Cinnamon-Sugar Tortilla Crisps