With its moist, cake-like center and crumbly edges, skillet corn bread is unbelievably good, especially when you mop up the remaining broth of a hearty chili or stew. Don't get us wrong, we love our skillet corn bread, especially our Spicy Jalapeño Corn Bread. But, lucky for us and you, you can achieve much more than just corn bread in your cast iron including these flavor-packed recipes below.
1. Pizza If you've never tried skillet pizza before, now is the time. The dough fluffs up to a glorious texture that's undeniably good. Also, you don't have to be a whiz with pizza dough to make this fast cast-iron skillet version—just pat it out to size, and the pan shapes it into a perfect circle.
2. Potatoes The skillet is the perfect vessel to make crispy, perfectly-cooked home fries. They're easy to make and ready in less than 40 minutes. The cast iron is important here because it gives the potatoes that golden-brown hue and crispy-crunchy texture that you want.
3. Scallops Achieve the perfect sear on scallops with your cast-iron skillet. The browning sets each scallop dish for success. In this case, these Seared Scallops are finished with a savory pan sauce of butter, white wine, and herbs.
4. Cobbler When warm, luscious berries meet a slightly sweet, crunchy crust, a heavenly dessert is born. Top with a creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream, and you're in pure dessert bliss. The skillet is a beautiful way to create those crunchy, browned edges with that warm, gooey center.
5. Pancakes Now here's a technique that yields incredible results, making it perfect for entertaining or a family breakfast. Just combine ingredients, pour in the pan, bake, and in less than 20 minutes this Oven-Puffed Pancake is ready to be served.
6. Frittatas The frittata is a high-wow, low-difficulty dish. With its stove-to-oven cooking technique, the light and fluffy egg texture gets those nice golden edges without drying up the entire dish.
7. Skillet Cookies (yeah, it's a thing) Oh, yeah—this cookie yields ooey-gooey chocolaty goodness for only 148 calories per slice. Cookie batter and skillets just were made for each other. Trust us, this is one recipe you can't pass on.