Each Friday, we share five things that are getting buzz around the Cooking Light offices—from what we’re reading around the Web, to what’s hot on Instagram, or even our latest favorite ingredient.
When you're searching for gifts that can show mom how much you really care, it's always a good idea to ask a group of moms who are 'in the know.' That's exactly what I did this week. I reached out to some of the moms on Cooking Light's edit staff and asked them to share the gifts they'd love to receive and the gifts they'd give to the deserving moms in their lives. You can thank us for the brilliant ideas later.
1. Ann Taylor Pittman, Executive Food EditorWhat I'd Like to Receive: "Honestly, this is not an indulgent gift but something I always want and need and for whatever reason never buy for myself--oven mitts. Yes, oven mitts. Like these from Williams-Sonoma. I love the look of these because they're more tailored and won't just swivel around on your hand. AND they come in sizes so you can get a better fit. Reviews are incredible and show that these work well, hold up, don't show dirt, and are all-around awesome."
What I Would Give My Mom: "A Lodge enamel-coated Dutch oven in purple. She needs a Dutch oven, and these are wonderfully affordable and come in great colors. They'd blend my mom's Fiestaware collection, too."
2. Kellie Kelley, Chief Food StylistWhat I'd Like to Receive: "This is a no brainer: wineofthemonthclub.com. Why? I have a 16-year-old boy at home and one in college constantly calling home. Need I say more?!"
3. Alice Summerville, Office ManagerWhat I'd Like to Receive: "A Greek Cooking Odyssey. This would be the ultimate dream gift for me. I have always loved the flavors of Mediterranean food. Greece has always been on my list of places to visit. What a great combination–learning to cook those wonderful dishes and the most beautiful scenery. Maybe I would even meet my own John Stamos!"
What I Would Give Another Mom: "When my boys were little, I enjoyed any gift that I got that I could share with them. I believe that if children know where their food comes from and have a hand in growing it, they are more likely to try new flavors and food."
4. Sheri Wilson, Art DirectorWhat I Would Give My Mom: My Family Cookbook, a hybrid cookbook-scrapbook. "I love the idea of spending time with MY mom to fill it out!"
"That reminds me of a post I saw recently: '4 ideas for turning family recipes into gifts.' I love all of them… especially the tea towels. My mom would love seeing her mother's handwriting like that."
5. Tiffany Vickers Davis, Test Kitchen ManagerWhat I Would Give My Mother-in-Law: "A beautiful herb planter already filled with what she would like."What I Would Like to Receive: "I want TIME. An afternoon to plant my own herbs so we can use them all summer long."
Bonus: Deb Wise, Recipe Tester/DeveloperWhat I Would Like to Receive Again: "When my Barb was little, she would make me coupon books for Mother’s Day, birthday, and Christmas. My favorite coupons were the ones for “fixing dinner” and “doing dinner dishes without an attitude.” Wish I had those coupons right now because after a full day in the Test Kitchen, the last thing I want to think about is fixing dinner and doing dishes!!"